The aim of İstanbul Kültür University Institute of Sciences Construction PhD Program is to be an academic unit that provides education to the students in the field of structural engineering based on up-to-date information and techniques, that raises engineers/researchers who can think analytically, carry out teamwork and interdisciplinary studies, and contribute to scientific studies at national and international level. It aims to provide education at undergraduate and graduate level, to follow scientific developments at national and international level and to conduct research to develop new information and methods.
- Wood structure sizing principles
- Steel and composite structure sizing principles
- Prestressing applications in steel structures
- Industrial steel structures
- High steel structures
- Steel bridges
- Suspended and draw bridges
- Structure mechanics of concrete, reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete; elasticity, beam theory, plate theory, yield line theory, thin-walled structure, structural and numerical modeling in concrete.
- Reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete structures: frame structures, multi-storey structures, surface carriers (envelopes, water tanks, silos), retaining structures, prestressed concrete and composite bridges, prefabricated structures.
- Masonry structures: material specifications, supporting concrete briquette tests and finite element modeling.
- Static: classical solution methods, matrix methods, finite elements, nonlinear solution methods, limit state analysis, structural reliability, determining material and load parameters with statistical methods.
- Structural dynamics, earthquake engineering, dynamic analysis methods (spectral analysis, time increment method), nonlinear vibrations, strengthening of damaged structures.
- Structural design, computer aided design, nonlinear finite element applications in reinforced concrete elements, performance-based design.
Period of Study
Construction PhD Program: Minimum 8 Semesters, Maximum 12 Semesters
Application Requirements for Construction PhD Program
- To graduate from a 4-year undergraduate program,
- To have a postgraduate diploma,
- To enter ALES exam in the last five years and get a minimum score of 55 in the score type of the graduate* program applied for.
- A minimum score of 55 from YDS or equivalent English language exam.
- The medium of instruction is Turkish.
- Construction PhD Program is 240 ECTS in total.
- For students who do not graduate from the related department, a "Preparatory Program" with a content and duration to be determined by the Department may be required.
- In order to graduate, students must prepare a “PhD Thesis” in addition to the normal course load.
Applications to the program are accepted twice a year in the Fall and Spring semesters.
In order to graduate from the Ph.D. program, at least one article must be published in a national or international peer-reviewed journal or accepted for publication, or the full text of at least one publication must be published in the proceedings of a national or international congress or accepted for publication before the submission of the dissertation. For detailed information...
(Starting from 2018-2019 Fall Semester)
İstanbul Kültür University Civil Engineering Department conducts its education, training and research activities with the awareness of being a leading institution in the society. Our students carry out realistic design and application projects in order to ensure that they are successful in their professional and social lives, and work environments are created in which they can gain experience about solving the problems they may encounter in business life. Our students are encouraged to organize and participate in activities that will improve their scientific, professional, social and cultural skills and knowledge, and they learn business ethics, respect for nature and society in line with the curriculum.
The academic staff of our department consists of distinguished scientists who are recognized in their field and engaged in education, training and research at up-to-date and international standards. Our faculty produces joint projects with universities, public and private institutions and industrial establishments in Turkey and abroad and tries to contribute to the social welfare of our country as well as the scientific and technological developments in the world.
I would like to thank all our academicians who contribute to our engineering education, administrative staff, and especially hard-working, skillful, rational students whose contemporary structures are a source of pride for us, while proudly expressing that our graduates continue their professional lives as competent professionals in their fields in the twentieth year of our establishment.
Prof. Dr. Ahmet Murat TÜRK
Head of Civil Engineering Department
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION TO ALL PROGRAMS
During the application candidates must bring the following:
- Copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Copy of Transcript,
- Copy of ALES Certificate,
- Certificate of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 2 passport photos,
- Copy of the Identity Card,
- Copy of the Foreign Language Certificate for Ph.D. Programs,
During the final registration students must submit the following:
- Certified copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Certified copy of Transcript,
- ALES Certificate, (To be printed out at the Institute.)
- Original of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 6 passport photos,
- Foreign Language Certificate for Ph.D. Programs, (To be printed out at the Institute)
- The First installment of Tuition Fee,