The development level of nations can be understood from the richness of their languages and the new perspectives presented to humanity through their literature and artworks. The foundation of this is undoubtedly education and training. In the Turkish Language and Literature Department, a modern, multi-option and comprehensive education and training program is offered in order to make a continuous contribution to this foundation.
Besides, we are trying to teach Turkish dialects and Turkish accents in order to be in constant communication with the whole Turkish world and to make Turkish culture more common.
Our department aims to train competent Turcologists who know a foreign language, use computer and try to reach international scientific standards; and people who can both create and interpret literary works.
Turkish Language and Literature Program aims to meet the need of our country for qualified people in language and literature and related arts, the sensitivity of art in future linguists, poets and writers and the ability to produce outstanding works in this field by scientists who adopt scientific discipline and free thought.
Content of the Program
- Program with Thesis: 2 Academic Years (4 Semesters)
- The medium of instruction of the program is Turkish.
- The program is a master’s degree program with thesis.
- The program consists of 120 ECTS/hours.
- The program runs during the daytime on weekdays.
- The candidates who will apply to the graduate program are required to complete their undergraduate education from the Department of Turkish Language and Literature, Department of Turkish Language and Literature Teaching, Department of Folklore, Department of Turkish Folklore, Department of Contemporary Turkish Dialects and Literature, Department of Turkish Language Teaching. Candidates who have completed their undergraduate education apart from these departments are required to study Scientific Preparatory Class.
- The candidates who will apply to the doctorate programs are required to complete their undergraduate and graduate education from the Department of Turkish Language and Literature, Department of Turkish Language and Literature Teaching, Department of Folklore, Department of Turkish Folklore, Department of Contemporary Turkish Dialects and Literature, Department of Turkish Language Teaching. Candidates who have completed their undergraduate and graduate education apart from these departments are required to study Scientific Preparatory Class.
- In the applications, it is preferable to have a basic Turkish Language and Literature knowledge and read and understand intermediate Ottoman Turkish texts. Applicants who do not have this competence can continue the Scientific Preparation Program.
- For students who do not graduate from the related department, a "Preparatory Program" with a content and duration to be determined by the Department may be required.
- • In order to graduate, candidates must prepare a “Master’s Thesis” under the supervision of their supervisors in addition to the normal course load.
- To be a graduate of a 4-year undergraduate program, (It is preferred that the undergraduate program is Turkish Language and Literature or related subjects.)
- ALES results are valid for 5 years from the date of publication. For admission to the doctoral program, a minimum ALES score of 55 from the verbal score type is required.
Program Opening Periods
Applications to the program are accepted twice a year in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Graduate education is an important process in which education and career paths intersect in order to increase the gains obtained in undergraduate education and learning, to increase the experiences and to enter into an academic discipline, which covers a very important period of human life.
Our graduate programs aim to raise individuals who can think freely, make decisions about life and future, are sensitive to the problems of society, country and humanity in general, and who can keep up with the requirements of the era.
Our graduate programs make every effort to provide students with these qualifications and skills with its qualified faculty staff.
As it is known, Turkish nation has a very deep-rooted history and has also spread to a very wide geography. All the oral and written literary works produced by the Turks in their mother language in this deep-rooted history and wide geography are included in our education and training program. The opportunity to recognize and evaluate these literary products more closely in our graduate programs, each of which is a very valuable part of Turkish culture, will give you a distinct national self-confidence and consciousness, change your thoughts about the past, and you will be influenced by them and you will want to follow them and want to create similar works.
I wish you success…
Prof. Dr. Mehmet Fatih KÖKSAL
Head of Turkish Language and Literature Program
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION TO ALL PROGRAMS
During the application candidates must bring the following:
- Copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Copy of Transcript,
- Copy of ALES Certificate,
- Certificate of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 2 passport photos,
- Copy of the Identity Card,
- Copy of the Foreign Language Certificate for PhD Programs,
During the final registration students must submit the following:
- Certified copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Certified copy of Transcript,
- ALES Certificate, (To be printed out at the Institute.)
- Original of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 6 passport photos,
- Foreign Language Certificate for PhD Programs, (To be printed out at the Institute)
- First installment of Tuition Fee