Our department, which was established in 2007, aims to educate individuals who are equipped with theoretical and practical knowledge in various sub-branches of Molecular Biology and Genetics and give importance to research and development and aim to produce solutions for social needs. In addition to our undergraduate education, Master's and PhD programs were opened in our department in 2011 and 2014 respectively.
Our department has fully-equipped research and student laboratories with the latest technology and these laboratories are used to develop and teach new techniques. Within the scope of Molecular Biology and Genetics sciences, a curriculum is offered by expert academic staff to raise qualified people in genetic engineering and biotechnology.
The program, which has academicians who are experienced in their fields and excited about science, open to innovations, closely following current scientific developments and leading these developments, develops an increasing number of projects every year and these projects provide major opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to participate in scientific research activities.
Period of Study
Program with Thesis: 2 Academic Years (4 Semesters)
- Medium of instruction in the Molecular Biology and Genetics Master’s Degree Program is Turkish.
- The program is a master’s degree program with thesis.
- Molecular Biology and Genetics Master’s Degree Program consists of 120 ECTS.
- For the students who do not graduate from the related department, a "Preparatory Program" with a content and duration to be determined by the Department may be required.
- In order to graduate, students must prepare “Master's Thesis” in addition to the normal course load.
- To enter ALES exam and get a minimum score of 55 from the quantitative score type,
Applications to the program are accepted twice a year in the Fall and Spring semesters.
The students who are accepted to the Molecular Biology and Genetics Master’s Degree Program have adopted to act in accordance with scientific ethics and sensitive to social problems in their scientific research activities. In the graduate subjects carried out to date, original studies have been conducted with a multidisciplinary perspective in basic and applied fields such as Molecular Cancer Biology, Plant Biotechnology, Molecular Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Microbiota Studies, Drug Development, Disease Diagnosis and Test Panel Development and Molecular Genetics. Outputs are still produced with a multidisciplinary global impact in terms of developing and implementing research strategies based on new technologies. Within the scope of the Master’s Degree Program, gaining experience and competence by combining the knowledge and skills of the field with the knowledge of other disciplines is one of the primary goals. The academic publications and patent applications of many of our graduate students and alumni are a source of pride for us as it is the result of the active research environment provided. In addition, positive research examples and hosting research platforms for university-industry cooperation in graduate studies provide new gains for the employment of program graduates.
The Master's Program in Molecular Biology and Genetics has made rapid progress since 2011, when it began accepting students for the Master's program. Molecular Biology and Genetics Master’s Degree Program has been accepting students since 2014. Our undergraduate program is accredited by FEDEK. Our department is the first accredited Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics in Turkey. Accreditation values, which are an indicator of the importance given to quality and openness to development/change in the undergraduate program, are evaluated equally in the graduate program and a student-centered education model is adopted. MOBIGEN laboratories where the program is carried out have the infrastructure and experience to lead the pioneering studies with national and international collaborations. Since many projects supported by national and international funds are carried out here, many students can take an active role in the projects.
Therefore, our priority in our Master’s Degree Program is to provide an innovative, productive academic environment that inspires the researcher who has gained experience from many disciplines with the spirit of teamwork, and to increase the number of successful graduates in national and international platforms that can produce original scientific values by triggering application competence in biological sciences.
Prof. Dr. Seyhan ALTUN
Head of Molecular Biology and Genetics Department
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION TO ALL PROGRAMS
During the application candidates must bring the following:
- Copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Copy of Transcript,
- Copy of ALES Certificate,
- Certificate of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 2 passport photos,
- Copy of the Identity Card,
- Copy of the Foreign Language Certificate for Ph.D. Programs,
During the final registration students must submit the following:
- Certified copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Certified copy of Transcript,
- ALES Certificate, (To be printed out at the Institute.)
- Original of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 6 passport photos,
- Foreign Language Certificate for Ph.D. Programs, (To be printed out at the Institute)
- The First installment of Tuition Fee,