İstanbul Kültür University International Relations Department offers a master’s degree program with/without thesis. International Relations Master’s Degree Program aims to provide theoretical, historical and methodological background to bachelors who follow the developments in the world and wish to examine these developments systematically. Rich elective course opportunities aim to develop this infrastructure with courses focusing on different regions. Elective courses focus on many different regions of the world such as the European Union, Middle East, Africa, the Caucasus, the developments in these regions and of course their importance for Turkey. The program aims to provide students with an analytical perspective on contemporary international relations. The courses are organized under the coordination of academicians and retired diplomats. The main objective of the program is to prepare graduates for positions in international organizations and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The language of instruction is English. Students are encouraged to participate in the Erasmus Exchange Program.
Program with Thesis: 4 Semesters
Program without Thesis: 3 Semesters
- The language of instruction is English.
- The course load of the master’s degree program with thesis is 8 courses for the first two semesters, with 2 compulsory and 2 elective courses in each semester. In addition to these courses, students take a non-credit seminar course.
- The course load of the master’s degree program without thesis is at least 10 courses and 30 credits, with 2 compulsory and 3 elective courses in each semester. In the program, students prepare a term project.
- The program runs on weekday evenings.
- To be a graduate of 4-year undergraduate program
- To enter ALES in the last five years and get a minimum score of 55 from the equally-weighted score type,
Program Opening Periods: Applications to the program are accepted in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Your department is special in many ways. It is at the intersection point of many areas and teaches you how to ensure stability, prosperity and order, and how to protect human life. Its goal has never changed since the first international relations department in the world was founded in Aberstwyth in 1919. It tries to train people who will ensure that wars do not break out, power is not used except for deterrence, and problems are resolved through international norms, regimes and organizations.
For this purpose, you take courses from many fields of social sciences including philosophy, sociology, economics, history. You learn law, history, conflict resolution. You see how the system of states works and what factors influence decision-making processes. You study the Middle East, the Caucasus, the Balkans, the European Union. You study international organizations, media-politics relations, human rights regimes, political transformation and democratization of Turkey in the history.
This department will give you the opportunity to make sense of the world, get rid of your prejudices and see universal norms. It will allow you to look at politics from different perspectives, empathize with others, understand, change yourselves and others. What this department tries to do is transform the world through you and make it a more livable place.
İKÜ International Relations master’s degree program lays the groundwork to make you successful academicians, diplomats, journalists, broadcasters, public relations specialists, advertisers, bankers and much more. You, as well as our previous graduates, will advance in your professional life with what you have acquired here. All you have to do is work and work harder in the master’s degree program as you did in the undergraduate program.
Prof.Dr. Mensur Akgün
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION TO ALL PROGRAMS
During the application candidates must bring the following:
- Copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Copy of Transcript,
- Copy of ALES Certificate, (ALES certificate is not required for Non-Thesis Programs)
- Certificate of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 2 passport photos,
- Copy of the Identity Card,
- Copy of the Foreign Language Certificate for PhD Programs,
During the final registration students must submit the following:
- Certified copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Certified copy of Transcript,
- ALES Certificate, (To be printed out at the Institute.)
- Original of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 6 passport photos,
- Foreign Language Certificate for PhD Programs, (To be printed out at the Institute)
- First installment of Tuition Fee,