In recent years, an important trend has emerged regarding the design of cities through large-scale transformation projects in Turkey and in the world. This trend is emerging as an important opportunity for architects and city planners. The aim of Urbanism Master’s Degree Program is to equip architects and planners with accurate and sufficient information who will intervene in urban space through urban design projects to see and evaluate this opportunity, and to develop their skills to apply with design methods and techniques. In this respect, the main objectives of the program are to follow up the practices and developments abroad through joint studies and to provide the knowledge and skills related to the definition and solution of the problem.
Urbanism Master’s Degree Program, which is led by economic, social and political elements and processes that shape the urban space, is a thesis program consisting of compulsory and elective courses which are conducted by experts and has a wide range of elective courses. In this program, which follows the recent developments in the basic concepts and processes such as design theories and applications, urbanization, globalization, urban transformation/urban revitalization, creative cities; the urban structure, which originally has a complex network of relations, is analyzed mainly in public spaces, and is questioned and reshaped in the light of basic data and examples about the city.
Period of Study
Program with Thesis: 2 Academic Years (4 Semesters)
- Medium of instruction in the Urbanization Program is Turkish.
- The program is a master’s degree program with thesis.
- Urbanization Program consists of 120 ECTS.
- Students who do not graduate from the related department may be required to have a "Preparatory Program" whose content and duration will be determined by the Department.
- In order to graduate, students must prepare “Master's Thesis” in addition to the normal course load.
- To enter ALES exam and get a minimum score of 55 from the equally-weighted score type,
Program Opening Periods:
Applications to the program are accepted twice a year in the Fall and Spring semesters.
İKÜ Department of Architecture Urbanism Master’s Degree Program deals with the physical and social dimensions of the city, considering the fact that 50% of the world's population lives in cities. In this context, the subject of public space is emphasized, and the theoretical and design information related to these are given. In Western societies, this rate is 90%. Considering this situation, urban design knowledge stands out as a vital issue. Furthermore, it is impossible to think the product of architecture independently of the context in which it is located, which is the city. The city is not only a physical reality, but also a social, economic, political and cultural reality. In this context, both theoretical studies are carried out and projects are produced on various subjects such as designing new urban areas and restructuring urban collapse zones.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Esin Kasapoğlu
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR APPLICATION TO ALL PROGRAMS
During the application candidates must bring the following:
- Copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Copy of Transcript,
- Copy of ALES Certificate,
- Certificate of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 2 passport photos,
- Copy of the Identity Card,
- Copy of the Foreign Language Certificate for Ph.D. Programs,
During the final registration students must submit the following:
- Certified copy of Diploma or Temporary Graduation Certificate,
- Certified copy of Transcript,
- ALES Certificate, (To be printed out at the Institute.)
- Original of Military Service Status (For male candidates),
- 6 passport photos,
- Foreign Language Certificate for Ph.D. Programs, (To be printed out at the Institute)
- The First installment of Tuition Fee,